Friday, March 12, 2010

15-17 Weeks (17 weeks and a sinus infection. yuck)

Well, it's happened. I'm really, really sick. Not morning sickness kind of sick, but sinus infection/inflammation of the pharynx sick.

I am MISERABLE.

I started getting a bit of a sore throat on Saturday, but it went away. I was thankful because my dad and his wife Karen were coming over to meet Michael's mom and her husband Mike for the first time. We all went out to dinner for Michael's birthday and it was nice to see everybody. I didn't sleep well Saturday night and then Sunday, I woke up and the sore throat was still there. It went away during the day, but by Monday, I sounded like a frog and my throat hurt to talk.

It probably didn't help that I had a swim meet to coach on Monday. By Tuesday, I was in bad shape. My throat was hurting so bad, I was afraid I was getting Mono again. I decided not to go into work on Wednesday and went to the doctor.

I was diagnosed with a sinus infection and a swollen pharynx. Since I'm pregnant, there's not a whole lot of medication I can take to make me feel better. I was prescribed antibiotics, an antihistamine nasal spray, and some cough medication.

By Thursday, there was no way in hell I was going to be able to make it to work, so thankfully, my assistant coach took the swim team and all was good. I had already planned for her to take over coaching on Friday because I had to get blood drawn. By Thursday night, I was running a fever and feeling incredibly uncomfortable.

So, I've missed three days of work and thought I feel better than I did yesterday, I still feel like my head is going to explode from the sinus pressure. I haven't felt this miserable in years.

The pregnancy is going well. I did have another ultrasound about two weeks ago and the heartbeats were normal. I do have ultrasound pictures, but it's really hard to see anything. I've been meaning to have Michael scan them so I can post them here, but I keep forgetting. In one of the ultrasound pictures, the baby's spine is completely visible. It's actually really cool. :)

I found out on Tuesday, March 9th, that the school district I work for is laying off 2,800 staff due to budget cuts and that they were going to start cutting people who had seven years of service or less. This worried me until I saw the letter the teacher's union put out. They said that according to Human Resources and the number of notices they say their sending, I do not fall under any of the categories listed. I'm a permanent secondary (high school) teacher, and apparently, because the district cut so many secondary teachers last year, they're now focusing on the elementary schools. I'm glad I'm not on the chopping block (yet), but I also feel for those who are in danger of being pink slipped and I also feel for the teachers who are going to have to try and teach 35+ small children in one classroom. Being a teacher is not easy. If Michael is able to get a decent paying job, I might just stay home for a few years, taking care of the babies and once they're school age, then consider going back. We've talked about it and we both have agreed that at least one of us should stay home. I just don't know if we can live on just my salary. Especially since my illustrious district is trying to make us take a 10% pay cut next year.

When is the economy going to turn around????

Oh, and before I forget... I need to start posting a belly shot of my ginormous stomach. Soon, I promise. Who am I promising?? I don't think anyone reads this blog! Ha ha! Oh well.

No comments: